Wednesday, December 9, 2009

white elephant...

Really, is asking for some sore ping&pong and a breakout too much to ask? I’ve never wanted a zit so much in my life. At this point, I just want AF to hurry, come and get it over with.

We have a white elephant gift exchange today at work. Our team is the only team of 7 teams that is the most unenthusiastic and don’t-give-a-shit team on the floor. We are definitely the misfits. We’re always number one though…huh, go figure. So it doesn’t take everyone wearing reindeer horns and decorating your team area as if Party City and 99 cent store threw up in there to be the most productive team? Don’t get me wrong – I love this time of the year. I just don’t want to be bubbly and giddy with horns on my head when I’m hella pissed off working a file and oh I don't know... obsessing about my 2WW non-symptoms! Our team decided to stick to the true white elephant tradition of bringing in a gift from your home. With the economy in the toilet as it is, no reason to make Target richer than it already is. Whoever said consumers spending will get the economy back on track is on crack. Hello! So, our team decided lets bring something from home instead. We all know what each others’ paycheck is like. As great of an idea as it is, to be totally honest, I’m afraid knowing my luck, I’ll end up with something like a noise hair trimmer.

So last night I rummaged through every drawer and bookshelf and boxes for any useless-to-us-yet-still-usable-junk I can wrap. We moved a couple of months ago and wouldn’t you know – we threw out any and all junk during the move! I was going crazy, hence making the Hubs crazy. “Honey! FIND ME SOMETHING DAMN IT!”. I went through every book in our bookshelf asking the Hubs This one? That one? How about this book? And he suggested, “Why don’t you give Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven?” I just about went Tiger Wood’s wife on him.

His explanation was that it was only because when he bought it for me and I read it the first time I was pregnant and m/c a few weeks after, I blamed the misfortune on this book for jinxing me. But still – I got upset that he would even think about giving away a book like that. I told him, “That’s like you cursing me not to ever get pregnant again!”. He apologized. Begged for mercy. We have lots of golf clubs lying around the house.

Wish me luck – hope I don’t end up with a nose hair trimmer!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, much luck. I am not a fan of gift exchanges - white elephant, home made, dollar limit, or otherwise. It has nothing to do with my xmas spirit (which i have plenty of (for an infertile) thankyouverymuch). i just hate forced fun in any context. And forced creativity and spending. All of it, not for me. So I can sympathise and I actually think this whole finding something in your house that you don't want but that others might is a great compromise. I too just hope you don't end up with a nose hair trimmer. A book is a fantastic idea. but no, not _that_ book. On the other hand, I would love to get rid of the baby shoes i got to surprise dh with news of our pregnancy. They are a reminder of something sad. I kind of hate looking at them. And I am resolved to not pull out a single baby/pregnancy book or buy anything pregnancy/baby related ever unless or until my second tri. Last time i talked to my obg she was telling me not to worry about how long I had to wait to try again - she told me to start reading 'what to expect when you have a baby' books and I told her I couldn't - that it was too depressing. She laughed at that, cause taken out of context my lament could have meant that it was depressing to think about having kids. She's a bitch. Anyway, I digress. Have fun with the party. Good luck with the next few days. I do still have some hope for us, but you're right, maybe 2010 is our year.

    ReplyDelete